Whitby Online Historic Photographs Collection

Trafalgar Castle
A collection of photographs of Trafalgar Castle when it was the home of Sheriff Nelson Gilbert Reynolds and later when it became the Ontario Ladies' College. Today the building remains a school and is operated under the name Trafalgar Castle School.

We found 397 matching items.
Sort by: 
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
Ontario Ladies College Pipe Organ, 1906 
Image  1906,   A black and white photograph of the pipe organ in the concert hall of the Ontario Ladies College. This pipe organ was located in the south-west corner of the concert hall and was installed in 1895. In 1956, it was dismantled and parts used to build the new organ in the chapel. Photo from: College...
View from the Ontario Ladies' College, 1906 
Image  1906,   A black and white photograph of Gilbert Street looking west from the roof of the Ontario Ladies' College. The gates at the centre of the picture are at the railway crossing on the line from Port Whitby to Port Perry and Lindsay. Photo from: College Brochure 1907 Bottom: The Grounds from the Front...
Ontario Ladies' College Hockey Players, 1906 
ImageMysteries:  1906,   A black and white photograph of eight unidentified Ontario Ladies' College students posed in for a group photo with hockey sticks and wearing ice skates in the Barnes arena. The Barnes Arena was located on the block bounded by Brock, Ontario, Green and Gilbert Streets. Bottom: HOCKEYI-TS
Main Hall, Ontario Ladies' College, 1913 
Image  1913,   A black and white photograph of the main hall looking west towards the front entrance of the Ontario Ladies' College. The linoleum on the floor was replaced by hardwood boards in 1924. Bottom: MAIN HALL, TRAFALGAR CASTLE
The Exterior of the Ontario Ladies' College, c.1911 
Image  c.1911,   A black and white photograph of the exterior of the Ontario Ladies' College. There is a canon in the lower right corner of the photograph. The canon in the lower right corner was a historical relic of Whitby. It was cast in the foundry of Carleton Lynde in 1860 for the visit of the Prince of...
Ontario Ladies' College May Queen, 1916 
Image  1916,   A black and white photograph of the May Queen, Mary Valentine, and her train bearers.
Trafalgar Castle, 1874 
Image  1874,   A black and white photograph of Trafalgar Castle. Trafalgar Castle was built for Nelson Gilbert Reynolds (1814-1881), Sheriff of Ontario County from 1852 to 1881. Trafalgar Castle was designed by Toronto architect, Joseph Sheard and built between 1859 and 1862. The Sheriff lived in Trafalgar...
Exterior of Ontario Ladies' College, 1874 
Image  1874,   A black and white photograph of a crowd on the lawn in front of Ontario Ladies' College. The school is visible in the background. The college was officially opened on September 3, 1874, by Lord Dufferin, Governor-General of Canada. This picture was taken about the time the college was opened....
Wedding Photograph of Dr. and Mrs. J.J. Hare, September 28, 1874 
Image  September 28, 1874,   A black and white Wedding photograph of Rev. Dr. John James Hare (1847-1922)and Katherine Isabella McDowell. Rev. Dr. John James Hare (1847-1922) was the first principal of the Ontario Ladies' College at Trafalgar Castle from 1874 to 1915. He was married September 28, 1874 to Katherine Isabella...
Grand Staircase at Ontario Ladies' College, 1889 
Image  1889,   A black and white sketch showing the Grand Staircase at Trafalgar Castle. On the landing is a large stained glass window bearing the Coat of Arms of the Reynolds and Armstrong families. Printed in the Saturday Globe, October 26, 1889. Bottom: Interior View, Ontario Ladies College.
Exterior of Ontario Ladies' College, c.1880 
Image  c.1880,   A black and white photo of Ontario Ladies' College. At left is Ryerson Hall, designed by Henry Langley of Toronto and built in 1877. At right is the original servants' quarters for Trafalgar Castle which were demolished in 1895 to build Frances Hall.
Ontario Ladies' College Exterior, c.1887 
Image  c.1887,   A black and white photograph of a group of girls on the lawn in front of the College in the 1880s. The wooden passageway at right, was built in 1887 to join the Castle building with the principal's residence at far right. Left: Illegible, Whitby, Ont.
Ontario Ladies' College Exterior, 1877 
Image  1877,   A black and white drawing that shows the Ontario Ladies' College with the Ryerson Hall addition at left, which was built in 1877. At right is the principal's residence. The principal's residence was converted in 1877 from an old carriage house built for Sheriff Reynolds. Printed in the Historical...
Ontario Ladies' College Exterior, 1878 
Image  1878,   A black and white print of the Trafalgar Castle building that was used on the Ontario Ladies' College letterhead and for advertising.
Ontario Ladies' College Exterior, 1889 
Image  1889,   A black and white print of the Ontario Ladies' College and the old servants' wing at right. The servants' wing was demolished in 1895 to build Frances Hall. Top Left: ONTARIO LADIES COLLEGE Bottom Right: W THOMSON
Ontario Ladies' College Diploma, 1881 
Image  1881,   A black and white photograph of a diploma for a degree of Mistress of Liberal Arts. This diploma was issued to Sarah Margaret Baker on June 22, 1881, and was returned as an artifact to the College many years later. At this time, the College issued two diplomas, Mistress of Liberal Arts and...
Ryerson Hall Addition, Ontario Ladies' College, 1887 
Image  1887,   A black and white photograph of Trafalgar Castle, the Ontario Ladies' College school building. A tennis match is taking place on the grounds in front of the building. From: Ontario Ladies' College brochure, 1907 Bottom: THE ADDITION OF RYERSON HALL, 1878
Ontario Ladies' College, 1887 
Image  1887,   A black and white photograph of the entire complex of the college building with students playing tennis on the lawn. From: Ontario Ladies' College brochure, 1907 Bottom: THE ADDITION OF "THE COTTAGE" WITH ENCLOSED PASSAGE LEADING TO IT. -1887
Ontario Ladies' College, 1893 
Image  May 20, 1893,   A black and white photograph of the north side of the original Trafalgar Castle with students standing on the lawn. The bearded man standing at far right, is probably Rev. J.J. Hare, the school's principal. Trafalgar Castle is located at 401 Reynolds Street, Whitby, Ontario.
Tobogganing at the Ontario Ladies' College, 1893 
Image  1893,   A black and white photograph of students tobogganing on the college property. In the background of this picture, at left, is the main college building. At centre is the principal's residence at right are the barn and windmill and at far right is a toboggan slide. Bottom: W.E. O'Brien, Whitby, Ont.
Students of the Ontario Ladies' College, April 1889 
Image  April 1889,   A black and white photograph of four students of the Ontario Ladies' College. Left to right: Millie Hassard, Frill Sparling, Edith Beatty, Florence Withrow. Bottom: W.E. O'Brien, Whitby, THE GRAND STUDIO
Students of the Ontario Ladies' College, April 1889 
Image  November 16, 1889,   A black and white photograph of ten students of the Ontario Ladies' College. Back Row: Nora Gurd (Toronto Junction), Gracie Moore (Toronto), Maud Somerset (Winnipeg), Laura Deacon (Brockville), Florence Withrow (Toronto), Ella Robinson (Brampton), Mabel Deacon (Brockville). Front Row: Gertie...
Rev. John James Hare, 1889 
Image  1889,   A black and white drawing of Rev. Dr. John James Hare (1847-1922). Rev. J.J. Hare was principal of the Ontario Ladies' College from 1874 to 1915. He was born at Nepean Township, Canada West, On October 3, 1847, and died at Rochester Minnesota, U.S.A., on April 25, 1922. Dr. Hare is buried at Union...
People gathered in front of Ontario Ladies' College, 1897 
Image  1897,   A black and white photograph of several people standing in front of the Ontario Ladies' College after the Frances Hall addition was built at right in 1895. Printed in Epworth League Convention Book, 1897
Art Studio at the Ontario Ladies' College, 1899 
Image  1899,   A black and white photograph of the Ontario Ladies' College Art Studio. Carved figures and paintings can be seen. There are two unidentified women in the art studio.
Ontario Ladies' College, c.1901 
Image  Unknown, Ontario Ladies' College, c.1901, "Ontario Ladies' College, c.1901," Ontario County Souvenir, 1854-1904 ( Keystone Press, 1904), c.1901  This is a black and white photograph the Ontario Ladies' College. The photograph shows the addition of Frances Hall. People are outside on the ground of the school. This picture of the College was used for advertising in the early 1900s starting about 1901. From: Ontario County Souvenir,...
Ontario Ladies' College, 1906 
Image  1906,   This is a black and white photograph of the Ontario Ladies' College. From: College Brochure, 1907 Bottom: A SUMMER VIEW OF THE BUILDINGS
Miss Nettie Burkholder, c.1885 
Image  c.1885,   This is a black and white photograph of Miss Nettie Burkholder (1863-1950). Miss. Burkholder taught English and Chemistry at the Ontario Ladies' College from 1891 to 1901 and served as Lady Principal from 1901 to 1912, when she moved to Edmonton, Alberta. She founded an alumni chapter in Edmonton...
Miss Nettie Burkholder, c.1888 
Image  c.1888,   This is a black and white photograph of Miss Nettie Burkholder (1863-1950). Miss Burkholder taught English and chemistry at the Ontario Ladies' College from 1891 to 1901 and served as Lady Principal from 1901 to 1912, when she moved to Edmonton, Alberta. She founded an alumni chapter in Edmonton...
Rev. Joseph Edward Sanderson, c.1900 
ImageComments:  c.1900,   This is a black and white photograph of Rev. Joseph E. Sanderson (1830-1913). Rev. Joseph E. Sanderson was the man who founded the Ontario Ladies' College. He started the public meetings in 1873-1874 to establish the college and personally traveled throughout Ontario to raise funds for the...
Rev. Dr. John James Hare, 1906 
Image  c.1906,   This is a black and white photograph of Rev. Dr. John James Hare (1847-1922). Rev. Dr. John James Hare was principal of the Ontario Ladies' College from 1874 to 1915. He served as governor from 1879 to 1915. Dr. Hare was born at Nepean Township, Canada West, on October 3, 1847 and died at...
Lillian Frances Massey Treble, c.1895 
Image  c.1895,   This is a black and white photograph of Lillian Frances Massey. The Frances Hall at Ontario Ladies' College was named for Lillian Frances Massey after her father, Hart Massey, donated ten thousand dollars to build an addition to the College. Lillian Frances Massey laid the corner stone for...
James Holden, Esq., c.1877 
Image  c.1877,   This is a black and white photograph of James Holden, Esquire. James Holden (1828-1881) was the first president of the Ontario Ladies' College board of directors from 1874 to 1881. He was also one of the founding members of the College. Mr. Holden was born at Stouffville, Upper Canada, on February...
Senator George A. Cox, 1906 
Image  1906,   This is a black and white portrait of Senator George A. Cox. Senator George A. Cox was president of the board of directors of the College in the 1890s and honorary president in the early 1900s. From: College Brochure, 1907 Bottom: HONORARY PRESIDENT, HON. SENATOR COX.
Rev. John Potts, 1906 
Image  1906,   This is a black and white portrait of Rev. John Potts. Rev. John Potts was the honourary Vice-President of the College board of directors in 1906. From: College Brochure, 1907 Bottom: HON. VICE-PRESIDENT, REV. JOHN POTTS. D.D., LL.D.
Robert Corrigan Hamilton, 1906 
Image  1906,   This is a black and white portrait of Robert Corrigan Hamilton (1843-1929). He is wearing a pin striped suit jacket, tie and glasses. Robert Corrigan Hamilton was a Toronto insurance broker who served on the College board of directors from 1888 to 1928 and was president of the board for 18 years....
R.J. Score, 1906 
Image  1906,   This is a black and white portrait of R.J. Score. In 1906, Mr. Score was the first vice president of the College board of directors. From: College Brochure, 1907 Bottom: MR. R.J. SCORE, FIRST VICE PRESIDENT OF COLLEGE BOARD, 1906.
John Lawrence Smith, 1906 
Image  1906,   This is a black and white portrait of John L. Smith (1838-1928). John L. Smith, a farmer on Thickson Road in Whitby Township, was one of the founders of the Ontario Ladies' College in 1874 and was second vice-president of the board in 1906. Mr. Smith was born at Whitby Township on October 11, 1838...
John Rice, 1906 
Image  1906,   This is a black and white portrait of John Rice (1843-1920). John Rice, a farmer at the corner of Highway 12 and Rossland Road, was one of the founders of the Ontario Ladies' College in 1874. He became the first secretary of the board of directors in 1874 and still served in that position in 1906....
William John Greenwood, 1906 
Image  1906,   This is a black and white portrait of William John Greenwood (1857-1945). William John Greenwood was classics master at the Whitby Collegiate Institute from 1886 to 1892. From 1892 to 1915, he was an English teacher and mathematics teacher at the Ontario Ladies' College. In 1906, he was secretary...

Google Earth Google Earth [help]
Sort
Media Types
Contributors
Years
1860s 1860186118621863186418651866186718681869
1870s 1870187118721873187418751876187718781879
1880s 1880188118821883188418851886188718881889
1890s 1890189118921893189418951896189718981899
1900s 1900190119021903190419051906190719081909
1910s 1910191119121913191419151916191719181919
1920s 1920192119221923192419251926192719281929
1930s 1930193119321933193419351936193719381939
1940s 1940194119421943194419451946194719481949
1950s1950195119521953195419551956195719581959
1960s1960196119621963196419651966196719681969
1970s 1970197119721973197419751976197719781979
1980s 1980198119821983198419851986198719881989
1990s1990199119921993199419951996199719981999
2000s 2000200120022003200420052006200720082009
Map
Map of locations associated with these pictures. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Subjects

Only the top 100 will appear here.

Advertisements 
  (1) Aerial Photographs - Ontario - Whitby (5) Alumni & alumnae (7) Art (2) Art education (2) Artists (2) Automobiles (1) Bagpipes (1) Basketball (1) Basketball players (2) Bathtubs & showers (1) Baton twirling (1) Beaches (2) Book illustrations (1) Buffets (Cookery) (1) Buildings (8) Cannons (5) Chemistry (1) Choirs (Music) (2) Christmas (1) Cityscapes (1) Classrooms (2) Clergy (1) Clothing & dress (2) Clubs (1) Coat of Arms (1) College presidents (1) Concert halls (5) Conversazione (11) Cookery (1) County government (1) Croquet (2) Dance (1) Dance parties (1) Daughters (1) Dining rooms (7) Dining tables (1) Dinner parties (6) Diplomas (1) Domestic Science (2) Dormitories (8) Drawing (5) Drawing rooms (2) Dwellings (1) Employees (2) Entrance halls (2) Farmers (1) Fireplaces (1) Fires (1) Flags (1) founder (4) Funerals (1) Gates (13) Governors (3) Graduation ceremonies (4) Group portraits (52) Gymnasiums (9) Gymnastics (4) Hayrides (3) Horseback riding (5) Horses (4) Interiors (2) Lake Ontario (2) Lawns (7) Lawyers (3) Libraries (2) Lithographs (4) Loggias (4) May Day (83) May poles (9) May Queen (45) Meetings (9) Missionaries (9) Ontario Ladies' College (Whitby, Ontario) (376) Organs (4) Picnic (6) Picnics (2) Portrait photographs (43) Portrait prints (2) Reception rooms (3) Reeves (2) Reynolds, Nelson Gilbert, Sheriff (2) School principals (18) Sketches (2) Sleds & sleighs (3) Sports & Amusements - Tobogganing & Sledding (3) Spouses (2) Stairways (3) Students (166) Study Hall (2) Swimming pools (2) Teachers (25) Tennis (8) Tennis players (4) Toboggans (2) Trafalgar Castle (Whitby, Ontario) (94) Trafalgar Castle School (Whitby, Ontario) (8) Veterans (2) Winter (2) Women (2)
Item Types
Features
Groups
gallerylist with thumbnailslist
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit